Thursday 3 May 2018

Glasses

Look closely and you might see my first ever pair of glasses
I mentioned earlier this week that I needed 6 pairs of glasses. Which sounds like an awful lot of pairs to be honest. The thing you have to remember though is that I am a coach driver and need one set (regular, night and sun) just for work, while the other set will be for my car. I can't be doing having them here and forgetting them when I should go there. 

The reason I never got around getting them back in Norway, was the cost. For the amount of money I had to fork out for six pairs with all the trimmings (polarised, night, anti-glare) here in Northern Ireland I would have gotten one, perhaps two basic pairs back in Norway. Easy choice! Fortunately there was a two for one offer on the glasses as well, so that was lucky and even cheaper. 

Something else we tried to do today again was the bank account. This time we were told that I really needed something with an address on it, preferably a utility bill. Unfortunately I don't have any of those, since I live with my sister for the time being. But the lady was helpful and told me my best bet would be to get a letter with my National Insurance number (like a Social Security number) addressed to me at my current address. As soon as I have that, I will be able to open an account. 

We were not finished yet though. Because tomorrow I will be collecting my car, I needed a car insurance as well. Which meant sifting through all the insurance companies and trying to find the best one. Well, in our case, we didn't sift, we just went to one of those brokers that sift for me! And they found me a company that will take me. Not all companies accept people with foreign driver's licenses for some reason, but this one did. The only thing left to do now is get my bonus letter from my Norwegian insurer and perhaps get an even better deal on my insurance. 

We once made a fence, the chest was easy!
Once we got back home, we put together the chest of drawers my sister bought yesterday. It is now filled with my things until I move out. Then it will be moved into my sister's walk-in closet and used by her. 

Despite the bank account not quite coming off again, I am pleased with today's results.

9 comments:

  1. Hari om
    I too have 6 prs... no, actually, 8 if u count the kitchen and bedside ones!!! Will the employer'sxletter not count for the bank? I guess they have to be sure you are you...sigh. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Employer's letter might or might not. The lady told me the NI number coupled to my current address would be the easiest and surest way. So, I will wait for that. I'm not in a hurry yet though. I still have some money in Norway that I can use, but of course that doesn't last for ever!

      Delete
  2. You have been busy and very productive! Good luck with the bank account.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mara have I mentioned lately that you are the most organized person I know. Of course you have moved a lot so you have packing down to a fine art. But I must tell you all the ins and outs of getting established in N. Ireland or any country or state would probably send me over the edge. We have been married 47 years and only moved 3 times and only lived in one State. LOL
    Good luck and I like your choices thus far.
    How is Ms Oswin settling in?
    Hugs Cecilia
    PS madi had a bout with IBD she is on the mend thankfully to a wonderful vet

    ReplyDelete
  4. It goes so quick ! I like the furniture you bought !

    ReplyDelete
  5. That moving business sounds like so much work! Glad you have the energy for it. We're happy staying in our house (with the mortgage paid off years ago) and not moving. We hope Miss Oswin is doing OK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so much work. And really tiring as well. In fact I am only now starting to sleep properly again.

      My sister and I are dreaming about our forever home as well. But, first I will have had to have lived here for several years and then we will need to have some savings to actually get the place we want.

      Delete
  6. How fortunate to find glasses and BOGO to boot. So much stuff to sort following a move. We do get a water bill each month otherwise we have nothing to prove we live here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And since I moved into my sister's home, I will not get any utility bills. But, I think we have it sorted now and I should be able to get an account soon.

      Delete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!